International Campaign for Freedom of Aung San Suu Kyi and Burma


Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I can't believe what I've agreed to do for Burma

Email not displaying properly?
View this email in your browser
Dear friend

Earlier this year I made a big mistake. Following my fundraising half-marathon last year, I told my colleagues at Burma Campaign UK that I was up for a new sponsorship challenge, and asked if they had any ideas. Preferably something with a Burma theme.
 
Instead of suggestions I had hoped for, like climbing a Burmese mountain or swimming across the Irrawaddy river, consensus in the office swiftly boiled down to two options. A chilli eating contest, or an insect eating contest. After much debate, they decided insect eating would be the best, probably because that was the one I was least keen on.
 
In the UK most people think the idea of eating insects is revolting. Me too! But in Burma eating insects is fairly common, with many markets having stalls selling fried crickets, ants, and bamboo maggots. Insects are not only considered tasty treats, but are also a cheap source of protein and minerals.

For this reason the United Nations is encouraging people to eat more insects, and insect production is better for the environment as well.
 
So I am going to give it a go. On 23rd October I'll be doing a sponsored insect eating challenge. I am dreading it, but if it raises funds for our campaigns to stop rape in Burma and free political prisoners, it will be worth it.
 
Please sponsor me here.
 
Or make a donation here.
 
Thank you
Doug

Head of Fundraising
Burma Campaign UK
 
PS: My colleagues are also taking great delight in trying to find the most revolting insects they can find for me to eat, even cockroaches. Please sponsor me to make it all worthwhile: www.my.give.net/DougsBigBugChallenge
 
Share
Tweet
Forward
Our mailing address is:
Burma Campaign UK
28 Charles Square
London, N1 6HT
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

This email was sent to icfab8888.peacefulway@blogger.com

No comments:

As Daw Aung San Suu Kyi proclaimed,

As Daw Aung San Suu Kyi proclaimed,
"Justice is a dream. But it is a dream we are determined to realize."