International Campaign for Freedom of Aung San Suu Kyi and Burma


Thursday, November 13, 2008

Open letter to the 44th President and Vise President-Elect of the United States of America

Dear Mr. President and Vise President-Elect:

On this momentous occasion I will let you know that the streets of Harlem glowed with pride on November fourth.

On this momentous occasion I will let you know that tears fell from my two eyes as I heard your words surrounded by such a beautiful community of brothers and sisters united for change.

Tonight, I stand before you with a plea beyond my years and beyond my tears of hope.

I ask with all my heart and soul, please help the people of Burma with all your might, with all your strength, with all your being.

These words which I write to you now are a message passed on to me by the late U Han Lin a celebrated director of the Pyo Pan Wai School and teacher in Burma.

In 1988 he and his fellow teachers gathered, seven total and made a promise to one another that whoever could find help from the brutal military regime.

The next morning U Han Lin woke up to find his six friends were all murdered by the military Junta.

U Han Lin has lead many long marches including one from the White House to the United Nations followed by an eighteen day hunger strike.

Sadly, this noble man died this year of lung cancer on September 26th in Ithaca, NY on the anniversary of the military crackdown of the Saffron Revolution.

His cry for change could not ring more true than today.

Senior General Than Shwe's morbid way of taking over Aung San Suu Kyi's position is just disgusting.

The use of landmines, ethnic cleansing, rape as a weapon of war, torture to political prisoners, burnt villages, and child soldiers are the reality of this land that has been taken over by this greedy man.

I beg of support for Aung San Suu Kyi's call for continued sanctions, and most of all acting to bring an international campaign to free Aung San Suu Kyi and Burma.

With this I bid you both good luck, in your endeavors as leaders of the free world.

Please just make sure you remember those who are living in a world that is anything but free.

With great respect to the memory of U Han Lin and Tom Lantos for there courage to teach us this horrific lesson.

Thank you very much.

It is truly an honor to be writing to you on this day.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Karl Hellman

No comments:

As Daw Aung San Suu Kyi proclaimed,

As Daw Aung San Suu Kyi proclaimed,
"Justice is a dream. But it is a dream we are determined to realize."