“Please use your freedom to help promote ours.”
Burma Facts: Human Rights / Democracy / Freedom
* The U.S. State Department and two credible NGOs found in 2002 that Burma’s military regime is using rape as a weapon of war
* There are about 1,600 political prisoners in Burma, including 38 elected members of Parliament
* Millions of Burmese have been pressed into what the International Labor Organization, a United Nations agency, calls “a modern form of slavery”
* In 2002, more persons died from land mines in Burma than in any other country
* Burma was ranked the world’s fifth most repressive government by Parade magazine
* The Burmese Freedom and Democracy Act of 2003, which passed the U.S. Congress overwhelmingly, declared that Burma’s regime is using ethnic cleansing against Burma’s ethnic peoples"